Youth Poet Laureate
The City of Edmonton Youth Council and City of Edmonton present the Youth Poet Laureate in Edmonton, Alberta. We have a proud of tradition of poets laureate within Canada and Edmonton continues to be a leader in ensuring that the work of youth poets is celebrated through the Youth Poet Laureate position. The Youth Poet Laureate brings a unique voice to the larger city and will promote youth civic engagement through poetry.
The selected Youth Poet Laureate brings their unique voice to the larger city. Embarking on a one year term, the Youth Poet Laureate, will perform at public events and create a project that engages Edmonton youth in poetry. They will assist in setting a course to further bring Edmonton youth with the civic life.
Applications will be open until September 29. For any further questions contact Ian Smith, City of Edmonton, Citizen Services at 780-442-7161 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The role of Edmonton’s Youth Poet Laureate is to reflect the life of a city for youth through readings of poetry. As an ambassador for the literary arts, the Youth Poet Laureate incorporates poetry into a range of official and informal City activities. Recognizing that Edmonton has a vibrant arts community in which youth have a strong voice, the selected Youth Poet Laureate will bring that unique voice to the larger city.
- The Youth Poet Laureate must be and maintain resident status of the City of Edmonton for the duration of the term, provided by proof of mailing address.
- The Youth Poet Laureate must be between the ages of 13-23 within the entirety of their term (ex. cannot turn 24 between November 1 and August 31).
- Youth may only hold this position for one term and for one time.
- At least once in the term to City Council (must be an original work)
- At least once in the term to City of Edmonton Youth Council (must be an original work)
- Perform at youth and city-wide events as requested and determined mutually
- At a minimum of two official City of Edmonton functions
- Examples: The City of Edmonton anniversary of incorporation, Salute to Excellence, Mayors Awards, the City’s official summer exhibition or the Mayor’s state of the City address
- Assume the role of the youth literary ambassador for the City of Edmonton
- Create a community poetry project during their term to engage Edmonton youth in poetry
- Additional possible activities of the Youth Poet Laureate could include:
- Perform at youth and city-wide events as requested
- Collaborate with the City of Edmonton's Poet Laureate
Youth Poet Laureate 2016-2017
Meet Nasra Adem, the City of Edmonton’s new Youth Poet Laureate for 2016-17. Adem is a 22-year-old multidisciplinary artist. She is the 2014 winner of the Edmonton Poetry Slam and has performed her work at many events, including YouthCanSlam and the Canadian Festival of Spoken Word. Adem is the founder of Sister 2 Sister, a monthly artistic showcase by women of colour.
“I think the power that the youth wield; their passion for change, their newness and hope, their intelligence and fire is something Edmonton should both fear and be in awe of.” said Adem. “As Youth Poet Laureate, I look forward to facilitating spaces for this power to be celebrated!” As Youth Poet Laureate, Adem will perform at public events, including writing a minimum of two original poems to be performed at the City of Edmonton Youth Council and City Council meetings. Adem is Edmonton’s second Youth Poet Laureate. She will serve a one-year term. The position is sponsored by the Edmonton Poetry Festival, City of Edmonton Youth Council, and the City of Edmonton.