2017-2018 City of Edmonton Youth Council Member Applications
Applications are now open until June 4th for the 2017-2018 term. There are approximately 6 vacancies for Youth Councillors and 60 vacancies for Youth-At-Large General Assembly members.
- Applicants are required to complete the online Taleo application via the City of Edmonton website, and to attach a written letter of reference. Reference should be from an individual that can comment on the relevant qualities, skills or knowledge possessed by the applicant.
- Posting Expires: June 4, 2017
Application Process Timeline
Community and Public Services Committee of Council serves as the Selection Committee for the City of Edmonton Youth Council. It is anticipated that selection processes will take place on the following dates:
- April 26: application form opens
- June 4: application form closes
- July 6: interviews conducted by City Councillors sitting on the Community & Public Services Committee
- July 18: appointments made by City Council for one-year term (September 1, 2017 to August 31, 2018)
Qualities of Successful Applicants
- Motivated and passionate about volunteering, community development and bringing your vision and voice to the City.
- Team-oriented and willing to provide feedback and guidance to others.
- High capacity for curiosity and strong desire to learn.
- Active in making a positive difference within your local community.
Expectations of CEYC Members
- Adhere to CEYC's bylaws.
- Provide leadership, mentorship and engagement opportunities to fellow members.
- Demonstrate commitment to the programs and services of CEYC.
- Communicate and promote CEYC's mission and programs to the community.
- Attend all meetings and subcommittee meetings unless excused.
- Be prepared and read all documents in advance of meetings.
- Commit 15–20 hours per month to CEYC (for General Assembly meetings, subcommittee meetings, and project group meetings; to perform research, public engagement and other activities).
- Applicants must reside in the City of Edmonton and be between the ages of 13 and 23 [Bylaw 14126] as of September 1, 2017.
- Individuals under the age of 18 may only participate with the express written consent of their legal guardian (City Policy C575)
- Appointments are made for one-year terms (September 1 to August 31), renewable to a maximum of six consecutive years or to age 23.
- City of Edmonton Volunteer Management practices include an annual evaluation of board/committee members [City Policy C575B].
- If needed, bus tickets or parking reimbursement for transportation to/from meetings can be obtained from the Youth Council Coordinator.
- Neither grades nor education level of prospective applicants are taken into account during the appointment process.
- Mandatory General Assembly meetings occur the first Wednesday of each month from 5:00-8:00PM in City Hall's Heritage Room.